Working with my intergenerational design team at the HCIL, I designed and developed an distributed co-design tool affectionately known as DisCo (article). DisCo supports Layered Elaboration (article) which is a way groups can asychronously design iteratively while leaving previous versions intact. I developed the first three prototypes of DisCo in AS3 and and compiled with the open-source Flex compiler mxmlc. Because I was so familiar with ActionScript, I only coded the original prototypes using pure AS and did not use any of the MXML that Flex is known for which turned out to be a good thing.
My first step to porting a drawing app from AS3 to HTML was understanding the canvas element. The canvas element is similar to AS3’s flash.display.Stage object in the way that I was able to attach event listeners. It is similar to the flash.display.Sprite object because I was able to draw “into” it. In AS3, I used the graphics keyword (graphics.lineTo, etc) in order to render graphics into my object. In HTML, I needed to define a context (eg canvas.getContext(“2d”)) after I created the canvas element. Once I had the context, I was able to use (almost) the same code from AS. AS3’s graphics.lineStyle became context.strokeStyle and context.lineWidth. I even named my active context “graphics” so that my code worked with little editing.
Little thing…In AS3 when you convert a nested array to a string, the brackets go with it (eg [[brush,1,10],[brush.20,10]]). In JS, they didn’t and it only kept the commas. I needed to write a simple script to convert my arrays to strings and keep the brackets so it would be stored in the database in a way my loader would know how to decode.
Objects vs Scripts
AS3 is object oriented and I got spoiled using it. JS can be OO if you work really hard at it but it is so easy to not be. I have one true object in the whole bunch and the rest is just a giant set of methods called from wherever by whomever. I had typed all of my variables (mystring:String) in AS3 and found myself deleting a lot of variable types in JS. I also had scoping issues with a few variables although most things worked just by copying and pasting AS3 to my JS files.
I’m lucky most things worked. That shows the power of ECMA script. Moving forward, I need to implement straight line and ellipse tools that has live previews. I used a dynamic sprite in my AS3 app and I may need to make a new canvas for the JS, so,$ I’m not sure how my event models will change and I heard I need to manage the animation like double-buffering in Java. I’m also not sure how my text annotation tool will work either.
No matter how this turns out I think I’ll have a great prototype to work with for my dissertation and I’ll be moving from Flash to HTML5 for most interactive things.